Coconut Oil~ I haven’t used coconut oil much in my homemade beauty products- not really sure why, just have always reached for the shea butter instead. I was talking to a friend who is an avid user of coconut oil and decided to look into some of it uses. Here are twenty excellent ideas- plus four easy homemade this-n-that ideas that I am going to try.
First the benefits- wow! The health benefits of coconut oil include hair care, skin care, stress relief, cholesterol level maintenance, weight loss, boosted immune system, proper digestion and regulated metabolism. It also provides relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV, and cancer, while helping to improve dental quality and bone strength.
These benefits of the oil can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, and their respective properties, such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, anti-fungal, antibacterial and soothing qualities.
- Deep conditioning hair treatment. Rub a small amount of oil into hair (mostly at the ends), comb through and place hair in a loose bun or in a shower cap. Let sit overnight and wash out in the morning.
- Body moisturizer. Rub coconut oil directly into skin directly after showering.
- Eye makeup remover. Rub a small amount of coconut oil on eyelashes or waterproof makeup and rinse off.
- Cheekbone highlighter. Rub a very small amount of coconut oil on the tops of cheekbones to highlight over makeup.
- Vegetable oil alternative. Replace coconut oil for vegetable oil in your favorite recipes.
- Wound care. Replace Neosporin for coconut oil to protect and help wounds heal. Can also be applied to small cuts and scrapes to stop bleeding.
- Dry feet treatment. Combine coconut oil with sea salt to create a foot scrub.
- Sunburn care. Rub coconut oil on burned skin to help soothe and repair sunburned skin.
- Stretch mark prevention. Apply coconut oil to stretching skin multiple times a day.
- Body scrub. Combine coconut oil and sugar to create a sugar scrub to exfoliate and soften your skin.
- Healthy smoothies. Add a spoonful of coconut oil to your smoothie to help increase your energy.
- Cooking at high heat. Some oils can't be heated to high temperatures, but coconut oil is a safe alternative.
- Popcorn topping. Add a spoonful of coconut oil to popcorn and top with sea salt for a sweet and salty treat.
- Shaving lotion. Rub coconut oil on area to be shaved to replace shaving cream and post shave moisturizer.
- Lip balm. Rub a small amount of coconut oil on lips for a natural lip balm.
- Facial moisturizer. Apply a small amount of coconut oil on clean skin in place of usual moisturizer.
- Moisturizing soak. Add some coconut oil to a warm bath to soften skin.
- Frizzy hair fighter. Rub a little coconut oil between your palms and rub through hair to tame frizziness and fly aways.
- Hydrating night cream. Replace your night cream with coconut oil. Apply coconut oil to the areas that tend to wrinkle and crease lock in moisture and hydrate skin.
- Cuticle softener. Rub coconut oil on ragged cuticles to hydrate and strengthen nails.
and a couple great recipes that will be sure to keep you healthy:
this one they say really whitens the teeth- I am going to give it a try- For the coconut oil toothpaste you will need:
2 tablespoons of coconut oil – it should be warm
6 tablespoons baking soda
10 drops mint oil
½ teaspoons fine sea salt
Mix all the above ingredient in a bowl, until you obtain a creamy paste. Then place it in any appropriate container.
Homemade lavender coconut oil salt scrub
This is a great scrub to use all over your body.
You only need 2 cups of coconut oil, 1 cup Epsom salt and 20 drops of lavender essential oil. Mix, place in a container, if you have any left over, keep it in your shower or bath area.
Hand scrub made from brown sugar and coconut oil
This hand scrub is based on brown sugar and coconut oil and you will need:
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon jojoba or olive oil
2 tablespoons coconut oil
Mix all the above ingredients until the coconut oil is fully mixed. Then apply the creamy mixture on your hands and massage for 2-3 minutes. Rinse with warm water. The oils will make your hands softer, while the brown sugar will eliminate the dead cells.
Natural hair mask for very dry or color-treated hair
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons fat yogurt
Mix all the above ingredients in a bowl and then apply the resulted mask on your hair. Leave it on for about 40 minutes then rinse and shampoo your hair. One time use, do not store any extra because of the egg and yogurt.
Here is great website that answers some questions about coconut oil- such as how long does it stay fresh, do you need to refrigerate...