Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming “Wow, What a Ride!”

Thursday, November 3, 2016

thursday's crafting ~ Tunisian Crochet

 I love to crochet; it is soothing and something that I can do while letting my mind wander through countless thoughts. Or, relax and just be quite for a while.  My mother taught me when I was a small child; being left-handed I sat across from her and mirrored everything she did. It worked and I learned. I will admit that my stitches look somewhat different, not sure this is the reason.

She also tried to teach me knitting- now there is something that I have never been able to grasp. I have great admiration for those who can whip those needles around and create a masterpiece. I also like the look of knitting over crochet for many things. It is thicker; the stitches many times are denser.

Nevertheless, I had resigned myself to crochet, where my needle and hands remain in my control. :)

however...IF KNIT AND CROCHET HAD A BABY, IT WOULD BE NAMED 
TUNISIAN CROCHET.

You might also hear some crafters refer to it as afghan crochet. Before I knew what Tunisian crochet looked like, I would see it occasionally and wonder, "Is that knitting or crochet? And how did they get it to look like that?"

Tunisian crochet starts with chain stitches like the crochet you're familiar with, but then it takes on its own persona that's somewhere between knitting and crochet.

You'll work back and forth with Tunisian crochet, never actually turning the work as you would with knitting or crochet. Each row in Tunisian crochet has two steps: the forward and the return. The forward is similar to what we call casting on in knitting, while the return is similar to casting off, like regular crochet. And another difference, casting off in Tunisian crochet doesn't mean you're at the end of the project.

Some of the Tunisian crochet stitches, like Tunisian knit stitch and Tunisian purl stitch, look similar to the knitting knit and purl stitches, but they're created in completely different ways.

The resources for learning this beautiful craft are limitless...especially with the internet and YouTube, where you can watch as if being privately taught. AND, if you are left-handed you need not sit across from your instructor. They have left-handed crafters teaching. HA!


Books are also available everywhere crafts and yarns are sold. The one I think that is all you really need simply explains the stitches. And then for patterns... you have Pinterest, and again the internet. But a Tunisian Crochet Stitch Guide is essential.

I have gathered several fun projects and interesting patterns and placed them on my Pinterest board “ TAOC ~ the Hook” (the art of crafting ~ the hook) if you would like to check that out. A link to all my Pinterest boards is on the right sideboard of this site.



the pattern looks simple-

My first project is a strange one, I decide to crochet, Tunisian style, a sweater-jacket for Gypsy, my new Bernese Puppy, for when we are out in the cold Colorado air and she is riding in the back of our Polaris Ranger. HA! Saw the idea on a Pinterest link and the pattern is simple. I can also use several stitches to make a kind of sampler and practice.





The start of Gypsy's jacket, you can see the "knitted look" on the cuff edge. The only “hum” thing I have encountered with this style of crochet is that the bottom row really likes to curl. I did try a suggestion found on the internet to help that but it didn’t seem to help much. With knitting, I think you have the same problem sometimes and the answer is to “block” your work when finished.





Here are some great links to websites that instruct and inform the crocheter new to this art.





have fun- and if you do a project I would love to feature it here, just email me and we can have a posting of all our beautiful works.

No comments:

Post a Comment