Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming “Wow, What a Ride!”

Monday, February 23, 2015

if life was easy ~

I use to be able to handle most anything that life tossed at me, see the lesson in the event, find a new path, or just simply let it go. However, recently I have let my emotions get away from me, even sometimes when the issue doesn't belong to me, an event that is on someone else’s platter, but I get involved emotionally. The other day I sat back and looked at myself and really thought about the emotion I was dealing with at that moment- it suddenly became clear that my perspective had changed, gotten lazy, that I expected my life to always be comfortable.

Perhaps it’s the belief that we shouldn't have any problems, discomforts, or any pain, that makes modern life seen so distressing. Life doesn't match our image of how it should be, and we conclude life itself is wrong. We relate to everything from the narrow, fearful perspective of “I want” – and what we want is to feel good. When our emotional distress does not feel good, we recoil from it. The resulting discomfort generates fear, then fear creates even more distress, and distress becomes our basic requirement that life should be comfortable. This one assumption causes all of us endless difficulties. 

Or there are those who cruise through life on automatic pilot, gliding across the thin ice of denial. But ignoring the thing you don't want to face will not prevent you from falling into the frigid water below.

This week I am going to reconnect and no matter how I may be feeling, I am going to simply sit down, experience the texture of what is happening in MY body and mind ~ fully experience the moments that belong to me, acknowledge any “discomfort” if necessary, and then move on.



No comments:

Post a Comment